Wednesday 20 October 2010

Toro Y Moi @ Cardiff Arts Institute W/ Seams

Toro Y Moi



Chaz Bundick appeared reserved and shy, almost embarrassed by his soft, almost angelic voice. Between songs was silent, a few mumbles from the crowd as the venue is quite intimate with a low capacity. This made it hard for Chaz to really communicate with the audience. But despite this there was chemistry, maybe down to respect to such an interesting bunch of artists. Neither of them look like world touring musicians, more 'yeh I play in a band with my mates and occasionally we get a gig down the local' type folk. But then comes the music, layers and layers of sound from his keyboard and sampler which Chaz stabbed at with fast repetition. These sounds sometimes built up too much and interfered to detrimental effect, maybe due to the venues acoustics.

The set was quite gig friendly and almost didn't do justice to the album; it sounded more stereotypically "indie" as opposed to refreshing and inventive. Having said this they played my favorite song 'You Hid' and 'Low Shoulder' got me dancey and consequently I can't stop playing it. He also played a new one off his forthcoming album that was really funky and got the audience very enthusiastic. And obviously 'Blessa' was thoroughly enjoyable.

I caught up with Chaz afterwards and was surprised to find him packing up merchandise. He is very softly spoken and friendly. He informed me that his new album is due in February and that there is more to come from his side project Les Sins.

Seams

Well its fair to say I was left shocked and almost bemused at what I had just witnessed after Seams captivated each and everyones mind in the warm up act. I like James Welch's style, head down, concentrating on the many tasks he is performing on the various flashing lights and knobs. Occasionally he will pick up the mic and produce lifting soothing vocals before looping them. The music is ambient with hints of IDM which apparently documents his various travels, life in Berlin and night cycling. Although he told me he is meant to be getting his degree at Birmingham Uni, the fact he is playing with the likes of Toro and Teengirl Fantasy shows that even he can't ignore his potential. I bought his tape and have been playing it constantly. Here is one of his tracks:

Hung Markets by seams