Monday 20 September 2010

Beast Rest In Heaven




Never Eat Shredded Wheat, well thats how I remember it anyway. Bear in Heaven's second album is a play on North South East West, entitled Beast Rest Forth Mouth. I have only stumbled across them recently but only due to a recent release which is the same album, remixed. I particularly like the Studio Remix of 'You Do You' which is a much funkier version of the original.

Bear In Heaven - You Do You (Studio Remix)

I checked out the original which I don't actually prefer, but still really rate. It is more dream pop and much more dramatic, a totally different ball game. However I then tried listening to the rest of the original album and found it too much, over dramatised in parts but maybe I'm just being boring. Although I do like the shoegaze feel of 'Wholehearted Mess' and 'Dust Cloud' is a nice Chilled one.

Bear in Heaven - Wholehearted Mess

I would recommend instead the new Remixed album. Obviously it is varied as each song is remixed by a different person but there are some great songs. The Fields remix of 'Ultimate Satisfaction' is a dark, demonaic reconstruction which I actually quite like (Even if it is ultimate satisfaction from, oh i dunno, brutally eating someone alive). Its very progressive and is very effective when the drums come in. It's almost, by the end, refreshing as it is a well earned break from all that hipster Yeasayer shit. Well worth a listen.

Bear in Heaven - Ultimate Satisfaction (The Field Remix)