Monday 20 September 2010

BESTIE FESTIE

Bestival 2010 was, like last year, an absolute stonker. Lot's of strange (not necessarily good) fancy dress and enough gurned messes to chew up every bit of grass on the site. It seemed more hectic this year, I think due to increasing popularity and the rain on saturday fucked everyones shit up abit. As always there was a good stomp to be had in Bollywood tent and as always it was a sauna. Here I sweated to the likes of electro master Jack Beats and drum and bass legend High Contrast. Arcadia was banging, Joker and Audio Bullys were memorable, just. Prodigy on the main stage (Which was in a far better location) was class, Keith Flint being his usual terrifying self and a visual display to match. I was very happy to hear them play tunes from 'Fat of the Land' and 'The Jilted Generation' such as 'Their Law', 'Voodoo People' and 'Breathe'. Anyway I'm not going to do a full review as I'm sure if you didn't go, you're bored to shit of hearing about it from your mates.

I am however going to write about my 3 favorite acts that I saw over the weekend.

3. Submotion Orchestra



SO, Sunday midday, thought it would be nice to start the days proceedings off with some jazz and wondered down to Chai Wallah tent to see Portico Quartet. After waiting ages for them to set up I noticed that there was a female vocalist. This seemed to be a bit strange as on their albums I had never heard singing. Then they started playing and it was definitely NOT jazz . But still I thought, oh great Portico Quartet are playing a dubby trip hop set with a guest singer. Nono, it was infact Submotion Orchestra and what a lovely surprise they turned out to be.

The song started out very ambient with a heavily vibrato-ed  electric piano and loose hi-hat work, with singer Ruby Wood soulfully playing with the songs lyrics. Then a break and then a very simple but hugely effective 'sub' bass plays along with full drums and added trumpet forming a crescendo that made everybody sway like they were having spiritually uplifting moment. Anyway check them out, I reckon they will be playing with the likes of Thievery Corporation in no time.

All Night by Submotion Orchestra by Ranking Records

2. Mount Kimbie



WHATGODS, unfortunately only saw the last 20 minutes from the back but what I witnessed took me too that 'other place' that hippies keep going on about. If you haven't checked out Kimbie's LP Crooks and Lovers, do, it's a must. The duo perform a live act, so its not just like being played your iTunes library back to you. The somewhat distant sounding long synth chords, intricate percussion which sounds like dripping water and heavily modulated vocals make for a euphoric experience. When they played 'Maybes' everyone was definetaly up in their head, probably close to the point of tears. An ambient journey away from the muddy field outside. I don't know where this magical place is but I know I want to visit Mount Kimbie again.

Mount Kimbie - Before I Move Off

1. Fever Ray

I LOVE YOU KARIN ANDERSSON. I made sure I was right at the front for this one, copious amounts of dry ice and tens of living room table lamps make the eery stage. The mist clears as the music builds and there is a silhouette of a very disguised Karin as a big, well, Totem Pole. The other musicians also wore frightening masks and lurched aggressively at you as if in a mosh pit. Opened with Triangle Walks and let me tell you, there is nothing as heart wrenching, as boner inducing as when you hear her voice live for the first time. Karin fucked my ears and she fucked them good. I love the 80's feel of this song with the claps and poppy synth. Those synthesized drums with her dreamy pitch-shifting voice remind me of a Cocteau Twins number. Also Karin and Liz sound similar no? The dark male sounding vocals are even more haunting live as on the record. This combined with the stage set and universal appreciation of the audience made a deeply moving, theatrical performance that I will never forget. If you have the opportunity to go and see Fever Ray, do everything in your power to get that ticket. Unfortunately this will be difficult seeing as Karin has put an end to the project. Gutted.

Fever Ray - Concrete Walls