Wednesday 22 September 2010

Memory Tapes / Toro Y Moi / Washed Out

Seek Magic by Memory Tapes


Well magic was sought and magic was found. I, like all people interested in music, trawl through every method possible to find that song that makes you think, 'yes'. Unfortunately you then over play that song and the excitement wears so you have to go hunting for a new one to get your hit: its our crack. However, the play count of 'Green Knight' on my iTunes has increased more rapidly then any song before and shows no sign of slowing.

The song has a very psychedelic feel, the funky 70's guitar riff with psychedelic rock vocals with psychedelic 'aaaaahhhhss'. I didn't even know I was into that shit. 'Pink Stones' is a faster tempo instrumental number that gets your feet tapping when the beat kicks in after a long ambient intro. It resides back into ambience but some Japanese guitar comes in and you realise the whole feel of the song is oriental.

'Stop Talking' has an up tempo 80's beat with some funky guitar which suddenly breaks into a dramatic chorus. And its this that I think is the trend with alot of the songs; sudden breaks from downbeat interludes into psychedelic dream pop chorus's. This gives the songs a great sense of theatre. I don't know if its because theatre is something that is a dying in popularity that it has been idealized by some bands today like Empire of the Sun or because its just part of synthpop. Probably the latter. Maybe its because the world needs to take a journey away from economic crisis and iPads. Memory Tapes does just that.

9/10

Memory Tapes - Green
Knight


Causers Of This by Toro Y Moi


More hectic than the chillwave of aforementioned Memory Tapes but chilled nonetheless. Its glitchy and messy but still manages to soothe. Its busy too with a multitude of little synth shots especially in 'Lissoms'. I think it is the airy vocals that maintain the chill and are heavily side chain compressed in most cases. This is Chazwick Bundick's first full length album and I think its a magnificent debut.

Its quite varied aswell. I really like a song called 'You Hid' which is nice and chilled with a lazy electric piano and slooowww hip hop beat. But the title track is much more upbeat and dancey.

Chazwick also has a side dance music project where he goes my the moniker 'Les Sins' and I definately recommend you check some of that shit out, its good.

8/10


Toro Y Moi - Lissoms

Life of Leisure by Washed Out


Another psychedelic, dreamy, 'chillwave' heavyweight is the marvelous Washed Out. I'm being taken to a place that everyones going, I'm sure I like it but I'm not sure if I'm invited. That's the vibe I get anyway, ya get me? The American Ernest Green has produced some emotive and powerful works with 'Life of Leisure'. If you have problems dreaming, stick on 'Feel it all Around' whilst trying to sleep. The concise album is mostly chilled, different from the glitchy feel of Toro Y Moi.

8/10

Washed Out - Feel it all Around